Coats Funeral Home has developed this section to share helpful information to guide you through the funeral planning process. We know the confusion and anxiety that may accompany the thought of planning a funeral. Thus, we hope that the following information will provide you with helpful information, clarity and direction.
You will find funeral planning information that includes:
We hope that this information is helpful to you. We invite you to discuss freely and frankly with us any questions you have regarding the funeral, including fees. Our funeral director would be happy to understand exactly what you seek for your funeral services, which will prevail during arrangements and until all your family’s needs and desires have been met.
To acquire a good sense of a funeral home’s reputation, check with your clergy, family, friends and neighbors who have been in the community for some time. They should have an accurate reading of its reputation.
Determine the staff’s friendliness, courtesy, and helpfulness, based on your experiences in attending a service at a particular funeral home. If not, ask your friends or neighbors.
When deciding on a location, determine:
- Is the funeral home located in a relatively quiet neighborhood where elderly drivers can enter and exit safely, or on a major thoroughfare in a highly commercial area?
- Are there adequate parking facilities?
- Can people get out of their car under cover from rain or snow?
- Can handicapped people get in and out of the building easily?
Sociologists indicate that the colors of nature are the most comfortable to people who are under stress. Does the funeral home building look and feel comfortable to you? Is the décor pleasant or ostentatious?
For a true comparison of prices between funeral homes, be sure to acquire a written quote for the same exact services and same exact casket from each funeral home.
Be Careful Of Swindlers
The expression, “There's no such thing as a free lunch" applies to funerals. If you are approached by phone, mail or in person by anyone offering to draw up your will free of charge or showing you how to save hundreds of dollars on your funeral expenses, beware!
Listen, but get all the facts. Do not sign anything at that time. Then, go to your funeral home to see what they have to offer. Save a lot of money and trouble by following these simple rules:
- Never purchase without first checking around, no matter what the person says.
- Never feel pressured into signing a contract. Be aware of pressure tactics, such as statements like: "This deal will only be available this one time" or "This is the last day we can make this offer.”
- Always go to the main source for accurate information. As you would not ask your doctor about car parts, likewise you would not ask a cemetery about funerals. Talk to your doctor about health problems, your attorney about legal matters, and your funeral director about anything related to funerals and funeral merchandise.
We invite you to contact us at Coats Funeral Home.